3.2.0 The Black aeroplane

3.2 The Black Aeroplane

Frederickf Forest

 

THE moon was coming up in the east, behind me, and stars were shining in the clear sky above me. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky. I was happy to be alone high up above the sleeping countryside. I was flying my old Dakota aeroplane over France back to England. I was dreaming of my holiday and looking forward to being with my family. I looked at my watch: one thirty in the morning.

‘I should call Paris Control soon,’ I thought. As I looked down past the nose of the aeroplane, I saw the lights of a big city in front of me. I switched on the radio and said, “Paris Control, Dakota DS 088 here. Can you hear me? I’m on my way to England Over.”

The voice from the radio answered me immediately: “DS 088, I can hear you. You ought to turn twelve degrees west now, DS 088 Over.”

Questions:

01.    Where was moon?

02.    Who is “I” in the above passage?

03.    What was weather condition?

04.    Who is I in the above lines?

05.    Whom did he contact after switching the radio?

06.    Was the narrator happy? Why?

07.    Where was the speaker flying to?

08.    What is the name of the aeroplane?

09.    Where was the speaker going?

10.    What did he look down past the nose of the aeroplane?

11.    Why did he call Paris Control room?

12.    What was the advice of Paris Control room?

13.    Make a sentence of your own using the phrase ‘looking forward to’.

14.    Make a sentence from ‘in front of’.

 

Q. Who was flying with whom?

                              OR

Where was the aeroplane? What was the weather of that time?

Ans.  A pilot is flying alone in the sky at 1 a.m. The sky was clear because stars and moon were in the sky he is flying in Dakota –088 over France. Back to England. In it he was dreaming of his holiday.

 

Q. Why was pilot happy? What information did he get from Paris control room?

Ans.  At 1.30 a.m. the pilot contract and get information from Paris control room to turn 120 west for England He was happy because he was going to join his family.

 

I checked the map and the compass, switched over to my second and last fuel tank, and turned the Dakota twelve degrees west towards England.

‘I’ll be in time for breakfast,’ I thought. A good big English breakfast! Everything was going well — it was an easy flight.

Paris was about 150 kilometres behind me when I saw the clouds, Storm clouds. They were huge. They looked like black mountains standing in front of me across the sky. I knew I could not fly up and over them, and I did not have enough fuel to fly around them to the north or south.

“I ought to go back to Paris,” I thought, but I wanted to get home. I wanted that breakfast.

‘I’ll take the risk,’ I thought, and flew that old Dakota straight into the storm.

Inside the clouds, everything was suddenly black. It was impossible to see anything outside the aeroplane. The old aeroplane jumped and twisted in the air. I looked at the compass. I couldn’t believe my eyes: the compass was turning round and round and round. It was dead. It would not work! The other instruments were suddenly dead, too. I tried the radio.

Paris Control? Paris Control? Can you hear me?”

Questions:

01.   Who checked the map and compass?

02.   What did the pilot do when he moved towards the England?

03.   What did he thought in the way?

04.   What was the distance between England and Paris?

05.   How did the cloud look?

06.   Why did he not able to fly up and over the cloud?

07.   What was problem in flying to the north or south?

08.   Why did he not move back to Paris?

09.   What was his risk, which he takes?

10.   What was there inside the cloud?

11.   What was the condition inside the cloud?

12.   What happened to Dakota Aeroplane?

13.   How did his compass work inside the cloud?

14.   Were their other instruments working properly?

15.   What was the condition of other instrument?

16.   What had happened to other instruments?

 

Q. What did the pilot do after instruction?

Ans.  The pilot checked the map and compass and switched the last fuel tank and turned the Dakota-088 at 120 west towards England.

 

Q. What was he thinking in aeroplane way to England? What happened with him?

Ans.  He was thinking that he would reach England in time for breakfast. Now Paris was about 150 km far behind, He was thinking that it was a simple flight. But it was not because the pilot encountered with a storm, which was appeared like a mountain in front of him.

 

Q. What condition arose against him?

                              OR

Why did he risk to fly across the storm?

Ans.  He did not able fly on and over them because he did not have enough fuel to fly around them to north and south. He had been already using the second and last fuel tank from 150 km.

 

Q. Why did he risk to fly across the storm?

Ans.  He risks to fly his old Dakota straight into the storm because he wanted to get home for breakfast. He also had not much fuel in his aeroplane.

 

I tried the radio. “Paris Control? Paris Control? Can you hear me?”

There was no answer. The radio was dead too. I had no radio, no compass, and I could not see where I was. I was lost in the storm. Then, in the black clouds quite near me, I saw another aeroplane. It had no lights on its wings, but I could see it flying next to me through the storm. I could see the pilot’s face — turned towards me. I was very glad to see another person. He lifted one hand and waved.

“Follow me,” he was saying. “Follow me.”

‘He knows that I am lost,’ I thought. ‘He’s trying to help me.’

He turned his aeroplane slowly to the north, in front of my Dakota, so that it would be easier for me to follow him. I was very happy to go behind the strange aeroplane like an obedient child.

After half an hour the strange black aeroplane was still there in front of me in the clouds. Now there was only enough fuel in the old Dakota’s last tank to fly for five or ten minutes more. I was starting to feel frightened again. But then he started to go down and I followed through the storm.

Questions:

01.   To whom did he try?

02.   Why there was no answer?

03.   What did the speaker see suddenly?

04.   What did the speaker look near his aeroplane?

05.   How can you say that the Pilot was lost in the storm?

06.   Why did the pilot say that he was lost in the storm?

07.   What was specific about the aeroplane?

08.   How did another pilot conduct?

09.   What did another pilot do?

10.   What did he signaled and how?

11.   What did the Dakota pilot do after his signal?

12.   How much fuel was left in Dakota’s last tank?

13.   How long he followed the black aeroplane?

14.   Why did the pilot call it a black aeroplane?

15.   Why was he started frightened again?

16.   In which direction the black aeroplane move then?

Q. What happened with him inside the storm?

Ans.  The storm was black inside. It make impossible to see anything out side or inside the aeroplane. The aeroplane jumped and twisted in storm. All the instruments as compass and Radio become failure. He feel lost himself in storm.

 

Q. Who helped hem and how?

Ans.  One black aeroplane without lights flew next to Dakota. The black aeroplane was so near that he can see the strange pilot. Strange pilot ask him to follow him by lifted one hand and waved. This aeroplane knows that I have lost my way so I follow him.

 

Q. Why did the author feared 2nd time?

Ans.  The strange aeroplane turned to north slowlsy. The author follows him near about 30 minutes. Now the fuel of his tank was only for 5 or 10 minutes. It makes the author fearful. Now the strange aeroplane moved down and he was near the airport of England.

 

Suddenly I came out of the clouds and saw two long straight lines of lights in front of me. It was a runway! An airport! I was safe! I turned to look for my friend in the black aeroplane, but the sky was empty. There was nothing there. The black aeroplane was gone. I could not see it anywhere.

I landed and was not sorry to walk away from the old Dakota near the control tower. I went and asked a woman in the control centre where I was and who the other pilot was. I wanted to say ‘Thank you’.

She looked at me very strangely, and then laughed.

“Another aeroplane? Up there in this storm? No other aeroplanes were flying tonight. Yours was the only one I could see on the radar.”

So who helped me to arrive there safely without a compass or a radio, and without any more fuel in my tanks? Who was the pilot on the strange black aeroplane, flying in the storm, without lights?

Question:

01.   Why did he look for the black aeroplane?

02.   Who is the speaker of above lines?

03.   What did he see?

04.   Why did he go straight to the control centre?

05.   The woman in the control centre looked at him strangely. Why?

06.   What circumstances did he find himself in?

07.   Why did the Dakota’s pilot turned behind?

08.   Where was the black aeroplane?

09.   What did he find on landing?

10.   Where did the black aeroplane gone?

11.   Why did he go to the control tower?

12.   Why did the controller laugh at him?

13.   What was the answer of controller?

14.   What was the condition of the Dakota’s Pilot?

15.   What were the main questions rises in the mind of Dakota’s pilot?

16.   Word ‘strangely’ has ‘ly’ as a suffix. Write two more words using suffix ‘ly’.

 

Q. How did the pilot lost in the storm?

Ans.  A pilot is flying alone in the sky at 1 a.m. The sky was clear because stars and moon were in the sky he is flying in Dakota –088 over France, Back to England. In it he was dreaming of his holiday.

         He was thinking that he would reach England in time of breakfast. It was not a simple flight because the pilot encountered with a storm, which was appeared like a mountain in front of him. He risks flying his old Dakota straight into the storm because. He had not much fuel in his aeroplane.

         The storm was black inside. It make impossible to see anything out side or inside the aeroplane. The aeroplane jumped and twisted in storm. All the instruments as compass and Radio become failure. He feel lost him in storm. One black aeroplane without lights flew next to Dakota. The black aeroplane was so near that he can see the strange pilot. Strange pilot ask him to follow him by lifted one hand and waved. This aeroplane knows that I have lost my way so I follow him.

 

Q. Why did the author left wondering?

Ans.  The author landed sagely. But the strange aeroplane was not there. The woman of control center asked him that there was nobody in the sky except you. Because the radar was showing only one aeroplane.

So he left wondering who had helped him to land sagely without compass and Radio.

 

Q. Who was the strange pilot?

Ans.  The strange pilot was a ghost whose plane had probably crashed in the storm, because he was flying his aeroplane without lights in dark storm. The mystery of origin of aeroplane is out of understanding.  How it appears and flying without light in dark. The aeroplane was not seen on radar where as the woman in control center sees only Dakota’s signals. In the scientific age it is hard to believe in ghost. It may be his imagination or daydream of the author.

 3.2 The Black aeroplane (Long Answers)


Long Questions :

Q.1 How did the pilot of Black aeroplane encountered with storm and who rescued him?

Ans. A pilot is flying alone in the clear sky at night over France, back to England. It was not a simple flight because the pilot encountered with a storm. He risks flying his old Dakota straight into the storm because He had not much fuel in his aeroplane.

         The storm was black inside. It make impossible to see anything out side or inside the aeroplane. All the instruments as compass and Radio become failure. He feel lost himself into the storm. One black aeroplane without lights helped him. Strange pilot signaled him to follow him by lifted one hand and waved. The strange aeroplane turned to north slowly. The author follows him near about 30 minutes. Now the fuel of his tank was only for 5 or 10 minutes. It makes the author fearful. Now the strange aeroplane moved down and he was near the  airport of England. So he left wondering who had helped him to land safely without compass and Radio.

 

Q.2 What are your thoughts about the story of Black Aeroplane?

Ans. I can’t believe on this story because in the clear night there was not possibility of finding huge cloud. The radar of the airports also did not show him. I think that it is the imagination of the authors daydreaming or wicked thought.

         Some people believe in ghosts and souls, which is far to prove it. The strange pilot was a ghost whose plane had probably crashed in the storm, because he was flying his aeroplane without lights in dark storm. The mystery of origin of aeroplane is out of understanding.  How it appears and flying without light in dark. The aeroplane was not seen on radar where as the woman in control center sees only Dakota’s signals. In the scientific age it is hard to believe in ghost. It may be his imagination or daydream of the author.

 

Q.  1: “I’ll take the risk.” What is the risk? Why does the narrator take it?

Answer: A huge storm was between the pilot and his destination. Flying through storm can be very risky, especially for small planes like Dakota. But as the pilot was going on holiday to meet his family, so he thought of taking the risk. Even those of you living with parents must be looking ahead to meet with cousins and grandparents during holidays. And once you are in a mood for holiday then no matter if your train or flight is running behind schedule, you will suffer all hardships in the way because the happiness of holiday will numb your pain.

Especially, think about those students who are living in boarding schools and get once in a year opportunity to meet their parents. They will happily face all harsh conditions of journey to reach their home.

 

Q. 2: Describe the narrator’s experience as he flew the aeroplane into the storm.

Answer: The plane twisted and turned in the storm. The instrument panel was not working. Pilot was not sure about his location and direction. This must have been a fearsome experience.

Then the pilot sees a plane flying besides his plane. The pilot of another plane waves and shows him the way out of storm. It was like a godsend for him. Following the unknown person, the pilot comes out of the storm and reaches his destination.

 

Q. 3: Why does the narrator say, “I landed and was not sorry to walk away from the old Dakota…”?

Answer: Dakota’s status among flying community is same as a Maruti 800 is having among cars, or an old scooter is having among two wheelers. These models are the basic means of conveyance. People don’t feel elated while commuting by them. So more often than not a pilot coming out of an old Dakota always feels sorry for having to fly such an old and rickety model.

But in this story as the pilot weathered the storm and landed safely so he was more than happy to come out from the old Dakota.

 

Q. 4: What made the woman in the control centre look at the narrator strangely?

Answer: The woman at the control centre was sure that nobody apart from the narrator was flying at that time. So, when she heard about another pilot showing the way to the narrator, see had every reason to disbelieve.

People at airport control center get information about each and every plane flying in the vicinity. They get information through RADAR.

 

Q. 5: Who do you think helped the narrator to reach safely?

Answer: It is difficult to guess. But probably it was the narrator’s self confidence or self belief, which created the illusion of another plane flying nearby.

As other concrete evidences in the story from control centre indicate, there was no other plane flying at that time. So may be the illusion theory holds more water.

 

Post a Comment